S W Leach & Sons has been getting people moving across Kent and the wider area for more than 37 years. Here, they share some invaluable advice on how to make moving day as stress-free as possible.
- Pack with a Plan – S W Leach loans as many boxes as our customers require. People often underestimate how many boxes they will need but remember, you are storing every item in your property so it is always better to err on the side of caution. We can collect any empty boxes on the day of the move.
- Size Matters – We supply boxes in a range of sizes and our top tip is too make sure heavier items – such as books – are placed in small boxes and lighter items are saved for larger boxes. This ensures our movers can lift and load safely and swiftly, without fear of injury or damaging your possessions.
- Clear Labelling – Seal all boxes with our white parcel tape which we are also happy to supply. To make things easier once the removals company reaches your new home, it is a good idea to write what is in the boxes, as well as the room it is destined for, on the tape.
- Furniture Identification – Just like the packing boxes, it will make things easier when unloading if we know where each piece of furniture is due to go without having to ask you every time. Simply place a piece of masking tape (that will not mark the furniture, no matter what it is made from) on each item and we will do the rest.
- Personal Preference – If you have opted to have your belongings wrapped and packed by professional packers, remember to leave items you do not want to be packed – mobile phone charger, kettle, passport, important documents, moving information, car keys and so on – in a clearly marked area. Also, remember to ask for a few boxes beforehand so you can pack any personal items you would prefer the removals team not to touch.
- Think Ahead – For all moves, it is wise to pack an overnight bag with a change or clothes, nightwear, medication, phone charger and so on so they can be easily accessed once you arrive at your new home.
- Lofts, Garages and Garden Sheds – These areas can take a long time to clear, so should be tackled well in advance. This also offers you the chance to start decluttering. Most removal companies will require lofts to be emptied completely before moving days arrives.
- Appliances – Remember to defrost any fridges and freezers that are due to be moved. Freezers hold a lot of water and cannot be moved until empty to avoid any flood risk once on the road.
- Electrical Goods – Disconnect all electrical items – TV, WiFi, dishwasher, washing machine in advance, as well as any light fittings or fixtures that you want to take with you.
- Think about Foodstuffs – especially if you are putting your goods into storage.
We hope you found this useful? You can contact S W Leach & Sons about any of your removal queries. Call now on 01622 882070 and one of our team will be happy to help.